Paul Polman and Martin Whittaker are highlighted as CEOs tackling inequality.

Published in Business Insider | February 4, 2016

Here is why the top 2% of society should help the other 98%

By Matt Turner

Inequality “undermines the fabric of society,” according to Unilever CEO Paul Polman. Unilever has a market cap of around $130 billion and owns household brands like Axe, Hellman’s, Dove, Knorr, Ben & Jerry’s, and Vaseline.

“Inequality is probably the biggest prohibitor that we face to creating a sustainable and equitable future for all of us,” he said in a video posted on the Ford Foundation’s website.

Public figures ranging from musician Elton John and writer Gloria Steinem have also posted videos as part of the foundation’s #InequalityIs campaign.

The Ford Foundation

The Ford Foundation is an independent organization working to address inequality and build a future grounded in justice. For more than 85 years, it has supported visionaries on the frontlines of social change worldwide, guided by its mission to strengthen democratic values, reduce poverty and injustice, promote international cooperation, and advance human achievement. Today, with an endowment of $16 billion, the foundation has headquarters in New York and 10 regional offices across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.

Media Contacts

Press Line
Tel (+1) 212-573-5128
Fax (+1) 212-351-3643