Helping all segments of society gain access to community resources and government services will allow them to participate fully in China's growth.
The Regional Context
The extraordinary transformation of China's economy, society and standing in the world during recent years has brought new challenges. The focus on economic growth has led to stark disparities in wealth, status and the ability to access resources and opportunity. To meet these challenges, the country is shifting to a model of balanced and sustainable growth.
The existing disparities heighten the vulnerability of marginalized groups. Women face intensified discrimination in the modern marketplace. Migrant workers, people in rural communities and minority groups have fewer opportunities than others to share in the benefits of China's transformation.
The goal of our work is to develop the social sector and help marginalized groups access opportunities and resources.
By supporting research entities, civil society organizations and government institutions that share in this goal, we help disadvantaged people and communities participate as partners in China's development and help them gain essential resources to combat poverty, inequality and discrimination.
What We're Doing
Our work seeks systemwide improvements for disadvantaged groups. We focus on helping poor communities, women, migrants, minorities and other groups to:
- Utilize the developing justice system
- Retain access to sustainable natural resources
- Make informed choices about their families and careers
- Complete their school and college studies
- Engage with government agencies
- Access the services they need through civil society organizations
Our grant making in the region is pursued through the following initiatives.
|Democratic and Accountable Government|
|Educational Opportunity and Scholarship|
|Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Justice|
From the Library
- Ford Foundation China For more than 30 years, the foundation's China office has been supporting institutions and individuals who work to build a robust, inclusive and equitable society. Today, we help develop a strong social sector that will serve as the foundation for reducing poverty, addressing inequality and creating opportunities for marginalized communities to have a greater voice and contribute to the common good of the society. 2 MB
International Club Office Building
Jianguomenwai Dajie No. 21
Beijing, China 100020
- +86 10 6532 6668
- +86 10 6532 5495
From the Newsroom
100,000 Strong Foundation Inaugural Conference
Nearly 400 U.S. and Chinese officials, business leaders, academics and students participated in the daylong discussion
Ford Foundation Appoints Elizabeth Knup to Lead Its China Office
Through her leadership experience, Knup has emphasized enhanced educational opportunities as a way to build and strengthen civil society
Investing in U.S.-China Relations
100,000 Strong initiative encourages American students to learn Mandarin and study in China