Middle East and North Africa
Translating the idea of rights into the practice of rights will help people from all communities in the Middle East and North Africa access opportunity.
The Regional Context
We have been on the ground in the Middle East and North Africa since the early 1950s. Over the years we have supported work to advance democratic and accountable government, fundamental human rights, access to quality higher education, and creative expression. Today, we are strengthening our commitment to these vital areas of work.
Although the past decade has seen economies across the Arab region expand at their strongest rate in generations, this growth has not generated shared prosperity or improved the daily lives of most people. In spite of these challenges, the people of Egypt and the entire region are on the brink of a new era; they hope for inclusive growth and democratic governance that guarantee dignity for all.
The goal of our work is to support inclusive development and empower the marginalized to achieve economic, social and cultural rights.
By supporting public institutions and registered civil society organizations, and by promoting technical assistance for increased government effectiveness, accountability and transparency, we believe that people in the region can overcome social, economic and cultural marginalization.
What We're Doing
The foundation's Cairo office concentrates primarily on Egypt, but also promotes advancement in other parts of the region along with regional networks.
Our work focuses on:
- Funding efforts to strengthen the rule of law and human rights protection with a focus on key economic and social rights
- Ensuring that the rights of women and other marginalized people are safeguarded
- Advancing efforts to improve public health, including HIV/AIDS prevention and reproductive health of young people
- Promoting cultural preservation and free expression through independent arts and culture initiatives
- Supporting access to quality higher education opportunities, and promoting higher education reform
- Advancing efforts to make government more transparent, effective and accountable
- Building the capacity of key organizations and institutions
- Facilitating networking and advancing research as the basis for informed debate and policymaking
In fiscal year 2013, the Cairo office made more than $12 million in grants.
Our grant making in the region is pursued through the following initiatives.
|Democratic and Accountable Government|
|Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Justice|
|Educational Opportunity and Scholarship|
|Freedom of Expression|
Middle East and North Africa
P.O. Box 2344
- +20 2 2795 2121
- +20 2 2795 4018
From the Newsroom
Update: Fraudulent Email and Phone Solicitation Warning
Details about what to do if you receive scam emails or phone solicitations claiming to be from or associated with the foundation