The Information Management Specialist (IM Specialist) is responsible for providing expertise and project support for departmental efforts that facilitate access to information across foundation repositories and work environments; ensuring that data—in both print and electronic formats— are treated as foundation-wide assets; and promoting and supporting best practices in managing knowledge, information, records and archives.
Working collaboratively with the Information Management team, the IM Specialist assists in identifying key information assets (physical records, electronic information, and data), defining how they should be managed throughout their life cycle, and defining the requirements of systems in which those assets are stored and referenced.
The IM Specialist provides expertise in the development, application, and management of metadata for the Foundation’s information repositories to ensure effective and appropriate access to materials and collections in all formats.
S/he is also responsible for promoting the best practices and participating in developing content, messaging, and training materials to further the goals of IM and to educate and engage foundation staff in the proper use and management of information and the tools that manage them. An ideal candidate would have a management consulting background with a Project Management and technology focus.
- BA/BS with 3-6 years’ work experience in business administration, knowledge management, information architecture, information technology, library/information science, or related discipline
- Strong understanding and familiarity with the principles and mechanics of effective information management, including data dictionaries, taxonomy formulation, controlled vocabularies, current and emerging metadata standards, and records management practices
- Broad knowledge of information retrieval, categorization, and organizational principles
- Demonstrated experience in web content management systems development
- Significant project management experience and detailed understanding of business processes; ability to create clean, precise, and detailed project, data and system documentation
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 or 2013
- Experience in design and development of document management, digital asset management, and information management systems
- Experience collaborating with design and development teams on large-scale projects
- Solid understanding of HTML, DHTML, CSS, XML and related web technologies
- Demonstrated excellence in collaborating with business teams and translating business needs into business requirements; and the ability to communicate with technical staff and to translate technical requirements into lay terms
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, and PowerPoint
- Master’s degree or seven plus years of experience in business administration, knowledge management, information architecture, information technology, library/information science, or related discipline
- Experience using Smartlogic’s Semaphore (or similar system) to develop and manage taxonomies
- Experience with Business Process Modeling (BPM) and functional requirements gathering; ability to analyze and map complex processes including task flow analysis and use case development
- Understanding of principles of good usability and graphic design
- Extensive experience with enterprise and federated search strategies, as well as search engine optimization (SEO)
- Ability to read and interpret fundamental SQL queries
- Experience managing corporate records
- Extensive work building and maintaining taxonomies and natural language processing
- Experience working in non-profit organization
- Knowledge of the field of philanthropy and other fields in which the Foundation works
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of the Ford Foundation
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in teams